Friday, November 9, 2012

Pay attention to Gary Clark Jr.

To be honest, I'd never heard of Gary Clark Jr., until earlier this year when I came across his name in a sidebar story found in a used copy of a Rolling Stone Magazine special edition that listed the 100 greatest modern guitarists.

Even then, I'd forgotten his name until I ran into it again a while later in a search for the names of hot young blues guitarists.  Then, I went in search of some examples of his playing and singing.

I won't forget his name again anytime soon.

The raves that I read about in the magazine sidebar were true.  The young Texan is the real deal, coming straight out of the place where legends like Jimmie and Stevie Ray Vaughan came from, and playing a lot like SRV himself at times.  Then there are the comparisons to Jimi Hendrix.  His reputation has grown with the help of festivals and minor CD or EP releases.  But now he's got a major release with the album "Blak And Blu."  Now, we've got a great opportunity to watch a great young artist take off.

With Gary Clark Jr., the sky's the limit.









No comments:

Post a Comment